Celebrate Pride Month with the L-SETAC Diversity in Science Committee (DISC) – Event 1
Understanding 2SLGBTQIA+ communities – and how to create Allyship!
- Online workshop presented by Jeremy Dias and the International Day of Pink–the day for queer and trans celebration, advocacy & education (see attached poster and bio).
- Join us for an educational conversation on the lived experience of members of 2SLGBTQIA+ communities. Attendees will learn the history behind Pride, and what they can do to support queer and trans folks in their community.
- Date: June 1 – 6:30-8:30 pm EDT – on Zoom
- Fee: Free event – donations will be collect to support the International Day of Pink (Learn more at: dayofpink.org)
- Please register here and the Zoom information will be provided.
Celebrate Pride Month with the L-SETAC Diversity in Science Committee (DISC) – Event 2
Conservation Halton’s Pride in Nature
- Join the DISC members to celebrate the 2SLGBTQ+ community in Halton and surrounding area.
- Date: June 11 – 11 am to 8 pm – Area 8 (former Kelso Quarry), 5437 Steeles Ave W, Milton, ON L9T 2Y1
- To learn more and register: Pride in Nature — Conservation Halton.
- If you plan to join and would like to join us, send an email to Tyler, and we’ll keep you posted on our plans for the day.
Celebrate Pride Month with the L-SETAC Diversity in Science Committee (DISC)! – Event 3
Social DISCourse – Don’t Say Gay – Join us as we talk about the impacts of the “Don’t say gay” law in Florida and its repercussions across the US.
Could this happen in Canada?
L-SETAC’s Diversity in Science Committee (the DISC) invites you to highlight the Transgender Awareness Week (Nov 13-19) with a Movie Night.
Join us on Zoom at 7pm on Wednesday, November 23, to discuss the documentary “Disclosure” (available on Netflix), which we invite you to view on your own time ahead of the event.
- Fee: Free Event – donations will be collected towards Rainbow Railroad, a charity helping LGBTQI+ people escape state-sponsored violence.
- Please register here – the information for the Zoom meeting will be provided ahead of the meeting.
DISCLOSURE is an unprecedented, eye-opening look at transgender depictions in film and television, revealing how Hollywood simultaneously reflects and manufactures our deepest anxieties about gender. Leading trans thinkers and creatives, share their reactions and resistance to some of Hollywood’s most beloved moments. Grappling with films like A Florida Enchantment (1914), Dog Day Afternoon, The Crying Game, and Boys Don’t Cry, and with shows like The Jeffersons, The L-Word, and Pose, they trace a history that is at once dehumanizing, yet also evolving, complex, and sometimes humorous. What emerges is a fascinating story of dynamic interplay between trans representation on screen, society’s beliefs, and the reality of trans lives. Reframing familiar scenes and iconic characters in a new light, director Sam Feder invites viewers to confront unexamined assumptions, and shows how what once captured the American imagination now elicit new feelings. DISCLOSURE provokes a startling revolution in how we see and understand trans people.
To highlight and celebrate Black History Month, L-SETAC’s DISC proposes a few weeks of self-reflection with various EDI activities. Join us!
- Watch the first episode: Uncomfortable Conversations with a Black Man, for a well-spent 9 minutes of your time. Feel free to watch more – there are quite a few of them! Also if you have AppleTV+ Season 1, Episodes 1&2 of The Oprah Conversation with Emmanuel Acho is also good.
- Listen to the interview with Emmanuel Acho on Unlocking Us with Brené Brown on Spotify.
- Watch CBC’s The Skin We’re In: Pulling back the curtain on racism in Canada
- Join us for a discussion on Zoom on Friday March 1st , from 6:30 pm to 8 pm.
No time to join us? We have also started curating a living document of reference material: L-SETAC List – Black History Month.docx – Google Docs.
We look forward to knowing more about your own journey.
The event is FREE (pay what you want – donations collected will be directed to a charity of our choice).
Please RSVP here – the information for the Zoom meeting will be provided ahead of the meeting.