The Laurentian Chapter of the Society of Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry Codes of Ethics and Conduct
Code of Ethics
Our Code of Ethics aligns with the larger SETAC code of ethics available here: https://www.setac.org/page/SETACEthics
The Laurentian Chapter of the Society of Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry (L-SETAC) expects all governance members, members, volunteers and guests (including exhibitors and sponsors) to adhere to the highest standards of integrity and professionalism. To ensure a strong and successful organization, our activities require honesty and equity and should reflect well on the society. All participants should strive to be good stewards of environmental resources and effective and objective contributors to the environmental discussion globally as well as locally.
Professional behavior and integrity are also expected of every attendee (members and non-members alike) during L-SETAC meetings, workshops and activities (including sponsors and exhibitors).
Each member and all persons participating in L-SETAC meetings and activities (including sponsors and exhibitors) are bound by this Code of Ethics and should:
- Conduct themselves and their work responsibly and with integrity, in an objective, lawful and non-discriminatory manner
- Observe the spirit of the tripartite structure of SETAC, including professionals from academia, government and industry, by respecting the rights, interests and contributions of professional colleagues
- Observe the spirit of research integrity as explained in the SETAC Declaration on Research Integrity
- Refrain from practicing or condoning harassment of any kind
- Objectively and clearly communicate scientific methods, understanding and knowledge in an honest, professional and unbiased manner
- Ensure that presentations during society-sponsored events and other communications are restricted to and based on sound scientific principles and made in a respectful manner
- Respect intellectual property and shared-ownership of data, providing appropriate attribution for all shared data and intellectual property arising elsewhere
- Disclose potential conflicts of interest
- Not knowingly make false or misleading statements or engage in activities that could be viewed as defamatory about a professional colleague or an organization
- Recognize and respect confidentiality while being honest and forthcoming in all issues of public record
- Refrain from representing themselves as spokespersons for L-SETAC without the express authorization by the currently elected Board of Directors
- Conduct research and related activities so as to avoid or minimize adverse environmental effects of that research and ensure compliance with legal requirements for protection of researchers, human subjects, and research organisms and systems
Code of Conduct
Our code of conduct aligns with the larger SETAC code of ethics available here: https://www.setac.org/page/SETACConduct
L-SETAC provides open, safe forums for the purpose of exchanging ideas and information on the study, analysis and solution of environmental problems, the management and regulation of natural resources, promotion of scientific research and the development of strong environmental education.
Each member and all persons participating in L-SETAC meetings and activities are bound by this Code of Conduct and should:
- Avoid inappropriate and discriminatory actions. The diversity of human cultures, races, religions, ethnicities, nationalities, sexual orientations, gender expressions, gender identities, marital statuses, political affiliations, visible and unseen disabilities, employers, levels of employment and educational backgrounds brings unique perspectives to our organization. Discrimination based on any of these, or other less apparent differences, will not be tolerated.
- Be professional. Refrain from using insulting, harassing or otherwise offensive language in L-SETAC interactions. Disruptive, harassing or inappropriate behavior towards other scientists, meeting attendees, staff or vendors will not be tolerated.
- Conduct themselves responsibly, objectively and with integrity (see Code of Ethics), in an objective, lawful manner.
- Respect personal boundaries. Boundaries set by others must be observed. Harassment of any kind, including unwelcome sexual advances and requests for sexual favors, sexually graphic statements, or any other verbal or physical abuse will not be tolerated.
Reporting Concern over Policy Breach or Violation
Our problem resolution process aligns with that of the larger SETAC’s available here: https://www.setac.org/page/ProblemResolutionSOP. Individuals who become aware of potential breaches of L-SETAC policies are encouraged to report concerns so that they can be addressed. Please use the following form to report concerns: https://cdn.ymaws.com/www.setac.org/resource/resmgr/about_setac/SETAC-Reporting-Form.pdf. L-SETAC is committed to open communication and will endeavor to protect individuals reporting issues from any reprisals or victimization consistent with the larger SETAC Whistleblower Policy available here: https://www.setac.org/page/SETACWhistleblower.