SLR is a leading global consulting firm. Our teams provide consulting and advisory services to various sectors including oil & gas, industry, built environment, federal government, mining & minerals, power, and infrastructure.
Why join SLR?
SLR provides a healthy and dynamic work environment, challenging career opportunities and competitive compensation and benefit packages. Our “One Team” culture is the foundation on which our company is built. If you are looking for a challenging and rewarding opportunities for personal and professional growth, come shape your ambitions with SLR.
Junior Environmental Risk Assessor
SLR has an opportunity for an Environmental Risk Assessor to join the risk assessment group in Toronto or Markham. This is an immediate need for a highly motivated and detailed oriented individual with excellent technical, critical thinking and people skills to join our team. The roles would include contributing to and conducting environmental risk assessments of contaminated sites for various clients across Canada.
- Project planning, data management, fieldwork and reporting for human health and ecological risk assessments and risk management plans associated with contaminated environmental media
- Build site-specific conceptual site models through the consolidation and interpretation of field and analytical data
- Contribute to proposal writing and participate in projects for other technical disciplines (e.g. land quality and ecology)
- Support senior staff by performing quality assurance reviews of technical analyses using critical thinking skills and identifying potential errors
Experience and Education:
- Graduate degree in biology, chemistry, toxicology or other related science field
- Experience in field data collection and evaluation, as well as preparing scientific reports is preferred
- Knowledge of human health or ecological risk assessment an asset
- Demonstrated analytical, data management and spreadsheet development skills
- Ability to multi-task, remain flexible, work independently, problem solve and prioritize assignments
- Strong attention to detail, accuracy and data anomalies
- Strong computer skills in Microsoft Office suite
- Research and data analysis skills (literature search, web search, data base, etc.)
- Ability to travel
We thank all those who apply for our Environmental Risk Assessor role in Toronto or Markham; however, only selected candidates will be contacted for interviews.
SLR is an equal opportunities employer. If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact our HR team at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will do our utmost to accommodate, in accordance with applicable local legislation. For details of our equal opportunities policy please contact a member of our HR team.
Posted on: July 23, 2020
AquaTox Testing & Consulting Inc.
B-11 Nicholas Beaver Rd.
Puslinch ON N0B 2J0
Tel: (519) 763-4412 Fax: (519) 763-4419
Laboratory Technician #2020-03
COMPANY: AquaTox Testing & Consulting Inc.
LOCATION: Puslinch, Ontario (Laboratory is not accessible by public transportation)
STATUS: Permanent, full-time
ANTICIPATED START DATE: Immediate
Please note that in response to COVID-19, we have implemented a temporary shift schedule that is applicable to all staff. The shifts allows for physical distancing to ensure the health and safety of the AquaTox team, while continuing to maximize operational efficiencies. The successful candidate will be required to work either a morning or afternoon shift, which includes 1 day on the weekend.
ABOUT US: AquaTox Testing & Consulting Inc. operates one of the largest and most respected ecotoxicity laboratories in Canada. AquaTox offers freshwater and marine aquatic toxicity testing, sediment and soil toxicity testing, biodegradability tests, and toxicity investigations and consulting services. Our services are tailored to meet the needs of the mining, pulp and paper, municipal wastewater, iron and steel, electrical power, chemical manufacturing, food and beverage, and petrochemical sectors. For more information, visit us at www.aquatox.ca.
AquaTox is looking to fill a vacancy for a Laboratory Technician in our accredited Ecotoxicology Laboratory. As the successful candidate, you will be responsible for, or participate in:
- Performing technical activities related to the culturing and holding of fish, aquatic invertebrates and plants.
- Performing technical activities related to the testing of water, effluent and wastewater samples, chemicals, sediments, and leachates/elutriates for their toxicity to fish, aquatic invertebrates and/or plants.
- Perform activities related to sample receipt and log-in.
- Performing routine analysis of water quality parameters including pH, dissolved oxygen, water hardness and conductivity.
- Preparation of water and food for testing and culturing.
- Participate in staff meetings with the Laboratory Manager and other technical staff.
- Perform tasks related to general housekeeping practices, shipping and receiving of lab supplies.
- Perform all tasks in a manner that supports AquaTox’s Quality Assurance Program.
- Perform all activities in a manner that is consistent with AquaTox’s commitment to the health, safety and wellness of all staff, clients, and visitors.
- Conduct all activities and interactions in a respectful, positive and professional manner that is consistent with AquaTox’s policies.
This position will be of interest to those with an undergraduate B.Sc. or college diploma with an aquatic toxicology, environmental biology, chemistry and/or microbiology specialty.
One to two years of practical work experience in a commercial laboratory setting, combined with knowledge of aquatic toxicology, microbiology, or general laboratory experience (e.g. wet chemistry) would be considered an asset.
As a well-organized and conscientious worker, you are familiar with general laboratory procedures and laboratory safety (i.e. WHMIS trained). You possess strong attention to detail and a proven ability to meet competing deadlines. You demonstrate strong computer skills and proficiency with MS Excel.
As an essential member of our team, you are available to work flexible hours and weekends (on a rotational basis). In addition, you are willing to work professionally in a team environment and have a commitment to thrive in a proactive organization that believes our employees are the key to our success.
If you would like to take the next step, we want to hear from you. Interested candidates should forward their cover letter and CV by 4:00 pm on July 24th, 2020 quoting Laboratory Technician #2020-03 in the Subject Line to Sarah Gleeson: email@example.com
If you require an accommodation during the recruitment and selection process, please let us know. We will work with you to meet your needs. AquaTox Testing & Consulting Inc. is committed to diversity and is an Equal Opportunity Employer.